4th Calvery Camp Hunter recognition
Starved Rock Civil War Roundtable will erecting a plaque just West of Ottawa near the site of the 4th Calvery Camp Hunter. The 4th Illinois Cavalry was mustered into service at Ottawa, Illinois, on September 26, 1861. It was consolidated with 12th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Cavalry on June 14, 1865. It was led by Col. Theophilus Lyle Dickey. Colonel Dickey commanded the regiment during the advance of Grant’s army on Fort Henry, serving as the scouts and screening force, served in a supporting role during the attack on that place, and then again led the advance on Fort Donelson. Colonel Dickey’s regiment was shipped to Pittsburg Landing, Tennessee where it participated in the Battle of Shiloh.