Sunday, August 26, 2018
Randolph County Courthouse and Museum, 1 Taylor Street, Chester, Illinois
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Illinois State Organization National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR) has a membership of over 7,600 Daughters with 104 chapters. The Randolph County local chapter is named “Liberty Bell of the West.” The chapter is named after the historic Liberty Bell of the West that is located on Kaskaskia Island. The Liberty Bell was a gift to The Mission of the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church and the town’s citizens from King Louis XV of France in 1743.
On the 4th of July,1778, during the American Revolution, the bell was rung to celebrate the liberation of Kaskaskia from the British and was rung every 4th of July until 1993 when the river flooded out Kaskaskia and the bell was damaged beyond use. The bell remains at Kaskaskia Island to mark, in part, the significance of the town as the first capital of Illinois.
The Liberty Bell of the West Chapter, Illinois State Organization NSDAR, will erect a monument in Chester, Illinois, to memorialize the history of Randolph County as “The place where Illinois began”. The monument will be located between the Randolph County Court House and the Randolph County Museum. The dimensions of the monument will be 60″x8″x40″ and it will be constructed of French Creek Black Granite Marble. This project has been approved by the Historian General National Society Daughters of the American Revolution. (visit the NSDAR Liberty Bell of the West website darlibertybell.weebly.com). Please join the Daughters of the Liberty Bell of the West Chapter when we dedicate our Bicentennial memorial monument on Sunday, August 26, 2018.
Cost of Admission: $Free